||Pearl S. Buck International Seeks President & Chief Executive Officer
Mission Statement: Pearl S. Buck International provides opportunities to explore and appreciate other cultures, builds better lives for children around the globe, and promotes the legacy of our founder by preserving and interpreting her National Historic Landmark home.
President & Chief Executive Officer Candidate Profile
The President & CEO is the chief staff leader and fundraiser of Pearl S. Buck International, responsible for serving as the global face of the organization. Candidates must possess the ability to attract, lead, nurture, and enhance (the value of) diverse stakeholders including staff, volunteers, and partners. The CEO works with the Board of Directors to serve the organizational purpose/mission by executing the strategic plan, capturing market risks (e.g., competition, forces of disruption), enterprise risks (e.g. cyber, digital, staff succession planning), and extracting the best out of its human capital (e.g. talent management), all to create lasting value and intellectual capital for the organization. The position reports directly to the Chairperson acting on behalf of the Board of Directors.
PSBI has three strategic objectives:
1) Operate, preserve and interpret the National Historic Landmark home of Pearl S. Buck in Hilltown,
Pennsylvania. 2) Provide Asian outreach and child sponsorship through affiliated organizations in Korea, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, and the Philippines. Expand into other countries as the need presents itself. 3) Offer intercultural training and consulting through programs like Welcome Workplace. Sponsor cross-cultural education and student exchange programs. Develop community-based public programming and related exhibits.
1) Organizational Mission and Strategy: Works with the Board and senior staff to ensure that the mission
is fulfilled through appropriate and sustainable programs, strategic planning and community programs.
• Responsible for implementation of PSBI's programs that carry out the organization's mission.
• Responsible for working with the Board on strategic planning to ensure that PSBI successfully fulfills its mission.
• Responsible for the enhancement of PSBI's image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other organizations.
2) Board Governance: Works with the Board in order to fulfill the organization's mission
• Responsible for leading PSBI in a manner that supports and guides the organization's mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
• Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
3) Organizational Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are "fit for the purpose" as the organization grows and evolves.
• Responsible for effective administration of PSBI's operations including ensuring that there are people, processes, and technology for the organization.
President & CEO
• Responsible for the hiring, development, and retention of competent, qualified staff including leadership development, and succession planning.
• Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
4) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops and utilizes resources sufficient to ensure the financial
health of the organization, working closely with the CFO and appropriate Board committees.
• Responsible for the fiscal integrity of PSBI, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
• Responsible for analyzing the reasonability and adequacy of continual budget and reforecasting metrics, in light of performance and overall growth of the organization.
• Responsible for leadership of fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support PSBI's mission.
Professional Position Expectations – Required and Preferred
All interested parties should submit a resume and cover letter to CEOSearch@pearlsbuck.org before May 3, 2019."
• Bachelor degree required, advanced academic degree preferred.
• At least 10 years of successful executive leadership experience (for-profit and/or non-profit sectors, ideally both), including significant experience and demonstrated success with international cultures, strategy, and operations.
• Out of state and out of country travel.
• Transparent and high integrity leadership, with tangible demonstration of high ethical standards and core values leadership.
• Understand and respect various leadership styles and personalities across staff and volunteer communities globally.
• Ability to convey and inspire a vision of PSBI's strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors, with an emphasis on service, outcomes, and innovation.
• Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the non-profit sector.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to interface with and engage diverse volunteer members.
• Demonstrated ability to respectfully and successfully oversee and collaborate with staff and volunteer leaders.
• Strong public speaking, influencing, and negotiating abilities.
• Embrace a culture of challenge and diversity.
Pearl S. Buck International is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/employer